We live in the age of the short attention span.
As such, TikTok has risen to prominence as one of the most popular social media sites in recent years, with its distinctive style of short-form videos attracting the interest of millions of users worldwide.
TikTok challenges have gone viral, with individuals taking part in numerous challenges to display their creativity and get more followers.
So, in 2023, do these challenges make sense for your brand?
TikTok challenges present a profitable opportunity to tap into the platform's enormous user base as companies continue to explore newer methods of engagement with their target audience.
We will look into the realm of TikTok challenges in this post and discuss whether they are effective marketing strategies for brands in 2023.
What are TikTok challenges?
On the platform, TikTok challenges are a popular trend where people participate in a particular activity or trend and then make and share videos with others. These challenges are an effective way for marketers to connect with a large audience and produce viral videos that help increase brand awareness and drive engagement.
Some popular examples of TikTok challenges by brands include:
- The #GuacDance challenge by Chipotle: The challenge involved users dancing to the song "The Guacamole Song" and using the hashtag #GuacDance. The challenge helped Chipotle build brand awareness and promote its guacamole products.
- The #HandwashingMove challenge by WHO: The challenge was created by the World Health Organization (WHO) to promote handwashing during the COVID-19 pandemic. The challenge involved users creating videos of themselves washing their hands and using the hashtag #HandwashingMove.
- The #MakeItMagical challenge by Disney: The challenge involved users creating videos that showed how they added a little magic to their day using Disney products. The challenge helped Disney promote its brand and products while also engaging with its audience.
Types of TikTok challenges
Let's take a quick look at the main types of challenges on TikTok and how they differ:
- Branded Challenges
Branded challenges are TikTok challenges that are created and promoted by a particular brand or company. These challenges are designed to showcase the brand's products or services in a fun and engaging way, and to encourage TikTok users to interact with the brand's content. Branded challenges can be a powerful way for brands to build brand awareness, reach new audiences, and even drive sales. Some popular examples of branded challenges on TikTok include:
- The #InMyDenim challenge, which was created by Levi's and involved users showing off their denim outfits in creative and unique ways. The challenge was a great way for Levi's to showcase its products and to engage with a younger audience on TikTok.
- The #Hoodwinked challenge, which was created by Fenty Beauty and involved users showcasing their makeup skills using products from the Fenty Beauty line. The challenge was a great way for Fenty Beauty to reach new audiences and showcase its products in a fun and engaging way.
- Community Challenges
Community challenges are TikTok challenges that are created and promoted by the TikTok community itself, rather than by a particular brand or company. These challenges are often focused on promoting a particular cause or raising awareness about a particular issue. Community challenges can be a powerful way for users to come together to support a common cause, and to create viral videos that help to spread awareness. Some popular examples of community challenges on TikTok include:
- The #ClimateChange challenge was created by a group of TikTok users who wanted to raise awareness about the impact of climate change. The challenge involved users sharing tips and ideas for how to reduce their carbon footprint, and it helped to spark a larger conversation about the issue on the platform.
- The #Pride2020 challenge was created to celebrate Pride Month and to promote LGBTQ+ rights. The challenge involved users sharing videos of themselves wearing rainbow-colored clothing or makeup, and it helped to raise awareness about the importance of inclusivity and acceptance.
- The #BlackLivesMatter challenge was created to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement and to raise awareness about racial injustice. The challenge involved users sharing videos of themselves holding up signs with messages of support and using the hashtag to help spread the message.
TikTok Hashtag Challenge Ads
Hashtag challenge ads are a special type of ad format on TikTok that lets brands create their own branded challenges and promote them to TikTok users.
These challenges encourage user-generated content that helps brands build brand awareness and drive sales.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make a hashtag challenge ad on TikTok:
- Create your challenge: First, come up with a unique and fun challenge that is relevant to your brand or product. Make sure it's easy to understand and simple to participate in.
- Choose a hashtag: Then choose a hashtag that’s easy to remember and tells you about the challenge. Make sure the hashtag is unique and not already in use.
- Create your ad: Create an eye-catching ad that showcases your challenge and encourages users to participate. Use catchy music, bright colors, and engaging visuals to grab users' attention.
- Promote your challenge: Use TikTok's ad platform to promote your challenge to a targeted audience. You can choose to target users by age, location, interests, and more.
- Track your results: Lastly, keep track of your challenge's performance by monitoring the number of views, likes, shares, and comments. Use this data to adjust your strategy and optimize your future campaigns.
Advantages of using TikTok challenges to promote your brand
Let's take a closer look at how TikTok challenges benefit brands from a marketing perspective:
- Building brand awareness: By creating TikTok challenges, brands can reach millions of TikTok users and build brand awareness. Challenges often involve a specific hashtag, music, or dance routine, which can help reflect and promote a brand's message and values.
- Generating user-generated content: TikTok challenges often involve users creating their own videos and sharing them with others. This creates an opportunity for brands to generate user-generated content (UGC), which can be used in future marketing campaigns or shared on social media platforms.
- Creating engagement: TikTok challenges are a fun and engaging way for users to participate in trends, music, and dance routines. By creating challenges that align with TikTok trends and resonate with users, brands can generate massive engagement and build a loyal following on the platform.
- Driving sales: TikTok challenges can also be used to promote specific products or services. For example, a makeup brand could create a challenge that encourages users to share their best makeup looks using the brand's products. This can help drive sales as well as increase brand loyalty.
Tips and best practices
To guarantee success with these challenges, you’ll need to be up-to-date with the best practices when it comes to TikTok challenges.
Here are some tips and best practices for creating successful TikTok challenges:
- Keep it simple: Create a challenge that is easy to understand and simple to participate in. Avoid making it too complicated, as this may deter users from participating.
- Be creative: Come up with a unique and creative challenge that will stand out from the crowd. Use music, filters, and other editing tools to make your challenge more engaging.
- Use relevant hashtags: Use relevant hashtags that are related to your brand or product. This will help to increase the visibility of your challenge and make it easier for users to find.
- Collaborate with influencers: Collaborating with popular TikTok influencers can help to increase the reach of your challenge and generate more user-generated content.
- Encourage user-generated content: Encourage users to create and share their own content using your challenge hashtag. This will help to create a sense of community around your brand and increase engagement.
- Follow trends: Stay up-to-date with the latest TikTok trends and incorporate them into your challenges. This will help to keep your challenges fresh and relevant.
- Monitor your results: Keep track of your challenge's performance by monitoring the number of views, likes, shares, and comments. Use this data to adjust your strategy and optimize your future campaigns.
So, Do TikTok Challenges Make Sense For Your Brand in 2023?
TikTok challenges remain a highly engaging and potentially lucrative trend for brands looking to tap into the platform's massive younger user base.
With the right approach and a dash of creativity, brands can create viral videos and connect with younger audiences in exciting new ways.
However, it's essential to carefully consider whether a TikTok challenge aligns with your brand's values and messaging before diving in.
With proper planning and execution, TikTok challenges can be an excellent addition to your marketing strategy.
So, don't hesitate to explore the possibilities of TikTok challenges and see how they can benefit your brand in 2023!
Also, if you’re looking to simplify your marketing efforts in TikTok- look no further. Markopolo’s got you. With its newly launched TikTok integration, managing your TikTok ads and campaigns is now easier than ever.
Want to know how you can use memes to up your TikTok game? Check this out.